Monday, October 13, 2008

A walk in the park


After waiting for over two months for a new condo we're getting, we decided to move out of my parents's condo and find a temporary place to stay while we get the other place (I'm sure Tony will blog about this, see his blog!). My aunt Maggie found us an awesome furnished apartment in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the city and we get to rent it month to month for as long as we need it! We moved in a week ago and Tony left for Raleigh the next day so I spend last week getting things organized, working and hanging out with my parents, so I didn't explore the surroundings much.

Tony got back over the week-end and as soon as we go home he suggested going for a walk in Chapultepec Park, of which the second section is only one block from our place.
The hill of Chapultepec and surrounding land are now Chapultepec Park, a popular spot both for locals and tourists.

The park covers 1,800 acres (7.3 km)
of land, centuries old forest, several small lakes, and landscaped areas with outdoor cafes. Chapultepec Zoo is located here, as well as an amusement park, and the official residence of the President of Mexico, Los Pinos.

Chapultepec Castle atop the hill is the National Museum of History. The park also includes the National Auditorium, along with several other museums, including the Modern Art Museum, the Tamayo Contemporary Art Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Papalote Children's Museum and the large Museum of Anthropology with perhaps the world's finest collection of Pre-Columbian, Mesoamerican art and artifacts.
We walked around the Great Lake (on the picture) at dusk, and it was incredible: great scenery, beautiful lake, perfect weather. This morning I went back for a walk just after sunrise and LOVED it again. I am hooked! I cannot believe I hadn't gone there before!!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:22 AM

    The park looks beautiful. Get your camera on and give us a virtual tour of the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to remember to take my camera next time!!!!

    ReplyDelete